Inchydoney (often misspelled Inchadoney) is a small island, now
connected to the mainland by two causeways, in West Cork, Ireland, about
1 hour 5 minutes drive to the west of Cork City. The
nearest town is Clonakilty.
The generous beach has achieved the coveted Blue Flag status.
There are two halves to the beach; either side of the
headland. Lifeguards who work for Cork County Council
duty at the weekends in June, July, August. There is an award winning
4 star Hotel located behind the headland called
Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, or many visitors choose to stay in nearby Clonakilty Town in Hotels such as O'Donovan's Hotel.
History (as described in Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837).
Island, The. INCHYDONY, a parish, partly in the Eastern Division of the barony
of EAST CARBERY, but chiefly in the barony of IBANE and BARRYROE, county of
CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 1 1/2 mile (S.) from Clonakilty; containing 1445
inhabitants. It is situated on the bay of Clonakilty, in which is the island
from which it takes its name. In 1390, De Courcy, Baron of Kinsale, and his
brother Patrick, were put to death by the Irish of Carbery under the command of
Daniel Moel McCarty Reagh. In 1584, the island, having escheated to the Crown,
was granted by Queen Elizabeth to the Bishop of Ross. After the battle of
Clonakilty, in 1642, 600 of the Irish forces fled towards this island as a place
of refuge; but the tide setting in at the time, they were all drowned before
they could reach it. An extensive strand surrounds the base of the island, which
is dry at low water; it comprises more than 1000 acres of rich alluvial soil,
which might be reclaimed from the sea and brought into profitable cultivation.
The parish contains 2502 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the
land is fertile and in a state of high cultivation; it is principally under
tillage, with some rich pasture; the system of agriculture is improved, and
there is neither waste land nor bog. Sea manure is obtained in abundance, and is
brought in by sand boats and lighters daily. The principal seats are Island
House, that of T. Hungerford, Esq., pleasantly situated in a retired and
sheltered part of the island; and Dunowen, of Geo. Sandes, Esq., occupying an
interesting site on the mainland. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of
Ross, formerly united to those of Kilgarriffe, Castleventry, Kilkerranmore,
Ardfert, and Desart, from which it was severed in 1829, and now solely
constitutes the prebend of Island in the cathedral of Ross, with which are held
the vicarages of Kilgarriffe and Desart, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the
rectory is impropriate in the representatives of F. Townsend, Esq. The tithes of
the prebend amount to £260, and of the benefices held with it, to £250. In the
R. C. divisions the parish is partly in the union of Clonakilty, and partly in
that of Rathbarry. Near Dunmore is a rich vein of lead ore, containing nearly 15
per cent, of pure silver; it is close upon the shore, but has not been worked
with perseverance. On an elevated site in the north-western part of the island
are the ruins of the old church.
Images of Inchydoney
Map of Cork West Cork showing the location of
The Clonakilty-Inchydoney Road (© 2007 Inchydoney.net)
The Model Village on the Clonakilty-Inchydoney Road
The Clonakilty-Inchydoney Road, heading towards Inchydoney
Inchydoney Strand, and Inchydoney Headland
Inchydoney Strand, on Inchydoney Island, which is near to Inchydoney
Inchydoney Headland circa 1989. Cars used to park on
grassy areas before the car park was surfaced.
The front of the old Inchydoney Hotel circa 1993. From the left there was a bar,
a lounge, hotel reception, restaurant, hotel rooms, apartments, basketball
courts (out of shot)
Inchydoney Headland circa 1950-1969. Note the lifeguard building and
slipway have not yet been built on the headland.
County Cork (Contae Chorcaí in Irish) is the most southwesterly and the largest of the modern counties of Ireland. The county is often referred to as
the "Rebel County" because it has often taken a position in major conflicts different to that of most of Ireland. The county's
tourist attractions include the Blarney Stone and Cobh (formerly
Queenstown) which was the Titanic's last port of call. The remote west of the county, known as West Cork, is a popular destination for tourists, who visit the small villages and islands including Sherkin, Clear,
and Dursey and on the mainland Mizen Head which is the "southwesternmost point in Ireland".
Inchydoney is located centrally in West Cork proper, which is a popular tourist area with every town having numerous Hotels, Guesthouses (also known as Bed and Breakfasts or B&Bs) and Holiday Homes (also known as Self Catering).